General Rules of Safety.
- Only authorized students may use the shop during business hours, M-F 9:00 am - 5:00 pm, unless accompanied by a physics faculty or staff member.
- The shop door must remain open while the shop is in use. This increases the chances of being noticed should an accident occur.
- Always wear safety glasses, goggles, or safety shields designed for the type of work being done, when you or anyone is operating a machine.
- Get first aid immediately for ANY injury. Report all accidents and injuries to your instructor immediately.
- Be sure that all machines have effective and proper working guards.
- Replace guards immediately after any repairs.
- Do not attempt to oil, clean, adjust, or repair any machine while it is running.
- Do not leave a machine while it is running. Someone else may not notice it is still running and be injured.
- Do not try to stop the machine with your hands or body.
- Always see that work and cutting tools on any machine are clamped securely before starting.
- Keep the floor clear of metal chips and waste pieces. Put them in the container provided for scrap.
- Get help when handling long or heavy pieces of material.
- When working with another person, only one should operate the machine or switches.
- Do not lean against the machines.
- Concentrate on the work and the machine at all times, it only takes a moment for an accident to occur. Do not talk unnecessarily while operating a machine.
- Do not talk to others while they are operating a machine.
- Be sure you have sufficient light to see clearly when doing any job.
- Never use compressed air for cleaning machinery.
- Never use compressed air to clean your clothes or any part of your body.
Rules Concerning Housekeeping.
- Keep floors free of oil, grease or any other liquid. Clean up spilled liquids immediately; they are slipping hazards.
- Aisles should be kept clear at all times to avoid tripping or other accidents.
- Store materials in such a way that they cannot become tripping hazards. Return all excess material to it's proper storage place.
- Put tools away when not in use.
- Place all scrap in scrap containers.
- Wear clothes suited for the job.
- Wear short sleeves, or sleeves rolled above the elbow.
- Wearing of shorts or cutoff pants is not allowed in the shop. Hot chips can cause cuts and burns.
- Open toe shoes are not allowed in the shop,. Shoes must cover the entire foot to be acceptable. Leather is preferred.
- If material is rough or sharp and gloves must be worn, handle the material only when machine is turned off.
- Always remove gloves before turning on or operating any machine.
- Do not wear ties, rings, watches, bracelets or other jewelry that could get caught in moving machinery.
- Long hair must be kept up at all times. It is easy for long hair to get caught in moving machinery.
I have read and understand the above rules and agree to comply with them.